Summer is finally round the corner, with longer days and lots of sun exposure – we all long for this time of year! However, this is the time when your skin needs a bit of looking after. Sun exposure is the number one cause of premature skin ageing and overexposure may lead to skin melanoma.
For safer sunkissed skin…follow these tips:
- Exfoliate and moisturize your skin regularly, getting rid of those dead skin cells and replenishing the natural oils needed to protect it.
- If sunbathing, stay out of the midday sun. It is at it’s hottest between 12 – 3 and you are likely to burn. Always use sunscreen, the higher the SPF, the better. Please also remember your sunnies and a well brimmed hat!
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Carry water with you everywhere you go.
If you do get sunburnt, try some of these home remedies:
- Add a few tablespoons of baking soda to your bath – it creates an excellent soothing remedy.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with water and either take a cool bath or use a washcloth to apply it gently onto the affected areas.
- Aloe Vera and Cucumber are also a known soothers, cooling and rejuvenating the skin with natural healing properties.
The summer months don’t mean that you have to hide indoors; you can have a great time while protecting your skin and preventing premature aging, dark spots and rough skin texture. The younger we are when we start looking after our skin, the healthier and more vibrant we are in later life.
Enjoy your summer!