Antibiotics are used to treat and prevent bacterial infections. They have also become one of the most over-prescribed medicines today. This is dangerous because overuse and misuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistance. Hippocrates said, "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food."
Many foods act as natural antibiotics and are effective in treating many health issues. Unlike prescription antibiotics, most natural antibiotics also fight viral and fungal infections - and they don't kill off the 'good' bacteria required by the body. Here are some of the top natural antibiotics:
- Garlic. This is a natural antibiotic as well as an antiviral and antifungal agent. A 1999 study published in the journal Microbes and Infection found that the sulphur compounds known as allicin in garlic act as natural antibiotics. It also contains a host of vitamins, nutrients and minerals that are beneficial to overall wellness - and it also helps to kill intestinal parasites.
- Honey. A 2014 study presented at a meeting of the American Chemical Society found that honey has the ability to fight infections on multiple levels, making it more difficult for bacteria to develop resistance to it. To get the antibiotic benefit of honey, always use raw, organic honey.
- Turmeric. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric and, according to a 2009 study published in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, the antimicrobial activity of curcumin against helicobacter pylori showed positive results. In addition, it helps to prevent bacterial infections in wounds.
- Echinacea is a natural antibiotic that can treat wounds and bacterial infections. The herb also strengthens the body's defence system so it can fight several infections. Do not take this herb for more than a week or ten days. It may not be suitable for people with autoimmune disorders.
- Ginger's natural antibiotic property helps prevent and treat many health problems caused by bacteria. Fresh ginger has an antibiotic effect against food-borne pathogens like salmonella. It also has an antibacterial effect on respiratory and periodontal infections.
- Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is a natural antiseptic as well as an antifungal and antiviral agent. In fact, it is reported to be effective against more than 800 forms of viruses and bacteria, more than 100 strains of fungus and many parasites. In addition, GSE is high in antioxidants, which boost the body's natural immunity.