Our lives are so busy and noisy that we often forget about the healing power of silence. When we're out in the world, it's not usually possible to control the noise level. At home, we can usually turn down the noise, but why not take it a step further and create a sacred space of peacefulness and healing?
You can start to create a sacred space by following a few easy steps:
- Decide what "sacred" means to you. Do you need a space for meditation, spiritual connection, or yoga? To me, sacred means uplifting, peaceful and spiritual.
- Dedicate a spot in your home that can become sacred. It doesn't have to be a whole room. It can be a corner of a room, the top of a dresser, or any other space you can find. When you are there alone it's sacred. When your family is in the space it's just as sacred, but in a very different way.
- Create your own altar. Find personal items that are meaningful to you. They might be things you've found or brought back from a trip. They might be items that you've been given. They can symbolise the importance of getting back out into the world and finding gifts in places you didn't expect to find them.
- Surround yourself with inspirational icons. Fill your space with meaningful quotes, spiritual symbols, calming music, plants, and any other items that uplift your spirit. Connecting with our spiritual selves opens up an amazing well to drink from when stress comes our way.
- Create a ritual. Once you've created your sacred space, how will you honour it? Will you use it to meditate for a few minutes every morning? Will you just sit, with your eyes closed, enjoying a few minutes of peace and quiet? Your ritual can be simple or complicated but, whatever you decide to do, make it meaningful to you.
Take a few minutes to bring peacefulness and healing into your home by creating sacred space. It's not hard to do and has huge rewards....